Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Online Learning Review

So if I'm being honest, some days I wake up and i'm the biggest technophobe on the face of the planet. One of those guys who swears his kids will never get a cell phone, IPod, etc. But on other days I just think the stuff is so cool. And so I think online learning has its merits, namely its convenience, but I don't yet consider it to be an adequate substitute for class instruction. As technology improves, it still must deal with us. And I personally like to have a chance for rapport building with a professor and with classmates. I think our generation is still geared to learn best with face to face contact. But in future generations online learning would probably be an effective tool. Students will be better prepared to accept the interface.

As for how to improve the online environment, I really don't have a specific suggestion. I suppose in dealing with us it is important to have a certain degree of flexibility and understanding. It is also important for students to accept the challenge of using new technology. And that flexibility has been present, so I would consider these three lessons a success.

1 comment:

M. Hewitt said...

I have to agree with your feelings on the online classes. It has its' pros and cons. I like not coming to campus every week, but I do feel that I am missing something.